- Bachelor of Arts degree in mass communications from East Tennessee State University
- Master of Science in Communication & Information from the University of Tennessee
- Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) in 2008
- Accredited Airport Executive (A.A.E) – one of only 15 PR professionals in the US – in 2018
- Inducted into the PRSA College of Fellows in 2019
Vice President of Public Relations for the Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority, which owns and operates both McGhee Tyson and Downtown Island Airports in Knoxville, TN.
What’s the most important PR practice you use in your work?
Building relationships has been key to every project, initiative, or professional development opportunity I have ever experienced. Without the help from other public relations professionals, I would not have been a successful practitioner – that is why it is so important to me that I give back to students, young professionals and fellow colleagues along the way.
What advice would you give a new professional?
Volunteer for everything! Don’t wait for someone to come to you with a project. Raise your hand to be a part of it from the very beginning. Often times young professionals don’t feel like they have the experience level to dive into a project but their fresh perspective can often times make the difference!
Do you have a funny PR anecdote you can share?
You would think that working at an airport would be more exciting! (Knock on wood). However, I do love watching the “stories” of the people who come through the airport’s doors every day. And I love working for a place that connects so many people to the world and to other people.